UBA 6.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FAQ for NBASim

2 posters

Go down

FAQ for NBASim Empty FAQ for NBASim

Post by Drewstacks Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:52 am

Q) I'm lost, What are we, basically, suppose to do in this league?
A) Um... Well... take the reigns of an NBA franchise and lead them like a real NBA GM would (preferably not like any of the past GMs from the Charlotte Bobcats!)

Q) ...   scratch   'splain ...
A) So this league starts with the 2011-2012 rosters. You take control of a team. You are the GM. You can submit rosters, trade players, cut players, and sign players. You can also resign your players, manage your team's salaries, draft players and sign players via free agency during the offseason. Once a season ends a new season starts, with all of your fantastic GM moves still intact. It typically takes 3 months to finish a whole season (regularseason+postseason+offsesason) so we could do up to 4 seasons in one year!

Q) Hmmm,  study ok then, Why are the real stats of players in Jim's roster sets, different then what is on our rosters? Huh? What are you trying to pull here  Shocked !!!!!!!!!
A) First it's important to note that the Per minute stats are not different. That is to say, the players will still play at the same level. However, in the fantastic UBAAddons, there is an option to create balanced injuries and fatigue. This creates a Max/Min of Games Played (injuries) at 80/70 and a Max/Min of Minutes (fatigue) at 40/24. So that is why the stats look different. But, as stated above, the per minute stats are the same. ... Well, unless you are looking at the 3pt shooting of guys prior to 1992, we added 3pt shooting (otherwise the guys in the 80's and 70's aren't as good)
   Anwho, You can check this by simply comparing the per minute stats of Jim's official UBA rosters and the ones we are using.

Q) Ok,  Suspect but why do we need to change the Fatigue and Injuryness of players
A) Rotations are now more realistic in the sense that you can actually play a 9 or 10 man rotation. Also, this allows you to insert any player into your rotation depending on how you value a player, instead of what the minutes per game that player played that year. (((you know, you could be an awesome GM like, oh, say, Mitch Cupchak and trade for a guy like Trevor Ariza who was underused and actually play him. Or maybe, instead, you want to be great like... hmmm, Mitch Cupchak and trade for an sparsely used Jordan Hill and play him... or, you could be like the great Mitch Cupchak and acquire a rarely used Earl Clarke and play him... well you get the point!)))
   The Injury part... well... I just don't think a GM should have to decide whether or not to acquire a player based on a season or two of freak injuries.

Q) alien yay... But wait, I'll make roster moves, but how do we know how our players will progress? I mean, can I see the database of the adjusted numbers, to better plan my team's destruction of the entire NBASim sim league Twisted Evil 
A) NO! Evil or Very Mad  .... haha, just joking, guy! Here!  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89472888/NBASIM/ADJ%20Database.zip

(post more questions below, if you have them)

Last edited by Drewstacks on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:03 am; edited 4 times in total

Drewstacks

Back to top Go down

FAQ for NBASim Empty Re: FAQ for NBASim

Post by Jayzel Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:31 am

there is an option to create balanced injuries and fatigue. This creates a Max/Min of Games Played (injuries) at 80/70 and a Max/Min of Minutes (fatigue) at 40/24

Wait, so we're using this? If we are, we really should convert the database to reflect the max/min stats otherwise I imagine it will be incredibly difficult for GMs to undertake appropriate research (as there won't be a go to database reflective of what will actually be used).

Jayzel

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayzel Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:03 am

I'd also express some caution with using this exact logic if we go down this path. There can be extreme performers in very small sample sizes of playing time. If we're extrapolating out their peformances to at least a 70 game, 24 mpg season (1680 minutes of production) we're potentially making for some extremely unrealistic estimates. Some examples, in 2011/2012 season Kyrylo Fesenko played just 5 games and 5mpg but he'd extrapolate to 70 games, 24mpg, 11.2ppg, 12.6rpg (equivalent to 17ppg, 19rpg per 36min), Mouhamed Sene played 6 games and 29 minutes in total in 2008/09 but would extrapolate to a 70 game, 24 mpg, 15.7ppg, 11.6rpg, 2.5bpg force (24ppg, 17rpb, 4bpg per 36 min). Everette Stephens in 1990/91 played just 6 minutes but his per 36min numbers would equate to an MVP like 36ppg, 12appg and 67% FG%. Jerome James played just 5 minutes in 2007/08 but his per 36 min numbers equate to 20ppg and 22rpg. If we were to go this route it may be sensible to make the minimum games and minimum mpg lower (and apply a minimum qualification for extrapolation, like 500 minutes played in the season).

Jayzel

Back to top Go down

Post by Drewstacks Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:07 pm

There were limits, put into the database, for what a player could do statistically.

We are using the 2011-2012 season so we have a direct comparison:

Kyrylo Fesenko's numbers 24 mpg... 10.1 pts on 33.3% shooting, 12 rebs, 1.1 ast, no blocks. Nice, I have him rated as a B+. But that 33% isn't great and no blocks either.

I'd sign him in a heartbeat, but this is also, by far, his best year (as per the database)

Drewstacks

Back to top Go down

Post by Drewstacks Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:08 pm

Jayzel wrote:
there is an option to create balanced injuries and fatigue. This creates a Max/Min of Games Played (injuries) at 80/70 and a Max/Min of Minutes (fatigue) at 40/24

Wait, so we're using this?  If we are, we really should convert the database to reflect the max/min stats otherwise I imagine it will be incredibly difficult for GMs to undertake appropriate research (as there won't be a go to database reflective of what will actually be used).

Ok, I'll try to get something converted tonight!

Drewstacks

Back to top Go down

Post by Drewstacks Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:51 am

Drewstacks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down